Sunday, March 16, 2008

A Southern Cemetery

I've posted some more photos; these were taken in a small town cemetery during the annual trip to Fernandina, Florida. We (meaning my sisters and myself) have taken this week-long trip every year since the youngest of us turned 21 (more than ten years now) to escape the wonderful coolness of the mountains and bake in the Southern Steam Oven for a week. Fortunately, mudslides, margaritas and martinis help take the edge off the heat.

But, thinking about cemeteries, I can't help but remark on how much they've changed over the years from the skeletal heads that grimaced from the early tombstones of America to beautiful statues of angels and lambs and cherubs to flat markers with silk flowers. For quite awhile, we used to joke as we passed the latter type of cemetery, "Oh, so that's where they grow silk flowers."

Today, in cemeteries that encompass the gamut from early to late model tombstones, a new wave of statuary seems to be cropping up. In this case, I am referring to the tiny little statues that now abound on graves. They can be animals (cute little rabbits, deer and chicks) or angels or even things that relate to the person buried there, like miniature soccer balls, pick up trucks, guitars, you name it.

I'm not making fun of this as I can see how doing this might help some people work through their grief, especially when it comes to losing a child. I just know that personally, I would not be able to sum up my daughter's life using garish silk flowers and tchotchkes. Nor would I want to be remembered that way.

My question is: How do these phenomenons get started? I guess it only takes one person and then it just expands exponentially. This also seemed to happen with the crosses on the side of the road to mark where someone had died in an automobile accident. It's almost like roadsides have become cemeteries.

6 comments:

TheSnarkiest said...

That gnome scares me worse than death. So I picture this conversation. A guy is dying of cancer, his wife comes home with this God aweful gnome. He says, "What are planning on doing with that thing?"

"I'm puttin' it on yer grave."

"Over my dead body!"

"Exactly."

Susan said...

thesnarkiest
I have to admit, the gnome kind of freaked me out too. But, I coveted that rosemary plant.

Anonymous said...

My escape would be from the steam oven to the coolness of the mountains!

Anyway, if you dig old cemeteries, I've got a tip for ya that might be accessible to you at some point...

the cemetery on St. Simons Island, Georgia.

There might be more than one but the one I'm speaking of is the most famous one there ... alright, alright, stop bugging me, I'll get you a link, hang on...

Here's info. It's wicked old and wicked cool!

See ya :)

Susan said...

zoooma
Yeah, it does seem kind of odd to head further south in the summer, but it sure makes me glad to be back home once the week has ended.

As for St. Simons, I'll check it out next time I'm down there. So far, my all time favorite cemetery is Bonaventure in Savannah.

TerriRainer said...

Susan,

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I love cemeteries, but probably for completely different reasons than you do! I have a story on my blog about a trip to the cemetery you might find amusing:

http://terrirainer.blogspot.com/2008/01/what-was-lurking-in-dark-country.html

Keep up the blogging, it tends to become addictive, and I have "met" so many interesting people.

Terri

Josh said...

I have family buried in a little cemetery at the top of a high hill in North Carolina. The view from the top is incomparable; couple that with the solemnity that comes from strolling among the dead, and every visit ends up being profound.