Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware The Ides of March

I give up! My youngest sister has been harassing me for months to start blogging. She says that it will be a great place to feature some of my photography. I guess she has a point. As a photographer for a small, bi-weekly newspaper, I am often limited as to what I can shoot. Perhaps here I can begin to let my imagination run wild. It also seems like a fitting way to begin my 40th year.

I have chosen to name the blog Desperately Seeking Susan because not only is that my name, but because I recently re-watched the movie and I had forgotten what a huge impact it had on me.

I turned 17 the year it came out (1985) and I was so into Madonna--that whole look. And, like Roberta, I wanted my life to be like Susan's. It was so exciting. Unfortunately, life has a way of changing our dreams . . .

1985 was an amazing year. Culturally, it was the year of New Coke (hiss! boo!) but fortunately THAT only lasted a few months. It was also the year that Calvin & Hobbes, Tommy Hilfiger and Windows 1.0 debuted.

Celebrities born that year included Keira Knightley, Lily Allen, Kyle Busch, Ashley Tisdale (yes, my daughter's way into High School Musical), Zac Hanson, Ciara and Frankie Muniz. I feel old.

Finally, that was the year we lost Marc Chagall, Karen Ann Quinlan, Laura Ashley, Rock Hudson, Yul Brynner, Orson Welles, Dian Fossey and Ricky Nelson.

I will leave this post with a few pictures taken on a trip south last year.














7 comments:

Deadman said...

Hi. Thanks for your comment chez moi. First comment on the first post of a new blog.

I feel...special!

Susan said...

abaddon
I feel . . . like a virgin, commented on for the very first time.

Susan said...

Sorry about that! I meant Abbadon!

TheSnarkiest said...

Desperately Seeking Susan...will you know her when you find her?

Nice pics by the way.

Deadman said...

How about I pop another cherry and be the first to blogroll your site?

:o)>

Susan said...

thesnarkiest
God I hope so; that's part of the reason for this blog.

Abbadon
Now I feel special. They say you never forget your first:-)

Josh said...

Thank you for your comment a few days back. I like this photography!